The use of face masks has become one of the proven ways to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. At the very least, it protects an uninfected person from contracting the virus and shields an infected person from spreading the virus. According to the CDC, “Wearing a mask will help protect people around you, including those at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and workers who frequently come into close contact with other people”.
It is therefore imperative to teach our kids how to stay safe and virus-free in this sensitive period. To a large extent, an adult should know the do’s and don’ts more readily, but a kid needs to be retold. And for such kids to adopt your suggestion of safety, there are ways to go around it. However, the CDC has warned that children under the age of 2 should not use face masks.
Components of Kids’ Masks
Some of the basic features of kids’ mask are discussed below:
- Home Made: most of the kids’ mask can be handmade from home to create some uniqueness. A parent may make one of the favourite colours of the kid into a face mask for motivation and uniqueness
- Material: the kid’s mask should have at least two protective layers, usually constructed from 100% cotton for convenience. Also, consider the kid’s ability to breathe efficiently.
- Washable: unlike the medical mask or the recommended N95 mask for medical officers, the kid’s mask should be made of machine-washable material so that the kids can reuse it for a reasonable time.
- Print: as much as there is a temptation to splash different colours and designs on the mask, please endeavour to include minimal print on it. The idea is that much print will probably have an adverse effect and will scare the kids more.
- Earloop: kids would generally prefer a soft elastic loop over the ears than tying ropes a big band. It will also add to the ease for the children, especially when the loops are adjustable.
- Colours: consider colours such as maroon, black, green, blue when making or buying your kids mask. Also, you may pick their favourite colour to have a variety to choose from to match their clothes.
- Price: the average rate of 2 good packs of kid’s mask will go for $30, which will contain up to 2 pieces.
- Nose piece: the nose piece of the masks should be closable to dispel any air pocket in and around the face.
- Pack: it will add more glamour if the face mask could have a reusable plastic pouch for moving it around without necessarily touching it.
- Filter: you may like to include a filter pocket for your filter when making the mask. And if you are buying, you may choose the one with filter pockets to add more safety.